Tuesday 10 June 2014

Now for something completely different....


I'm pretty sure I'm recycling entry titles here, but Monty Python is just so good.  In fact, let's just get this day started right for you:


Moving right along, I legitimately have something completely different this week.  Different for me anyway.  The weather has been so beautiful here lately (finally) but I find when I take Alice outside, the sun is always in her eyes.  I have a bucket hat for her that is super cute, but it's still a bit big and it slides down over her eyes, making her look like an old cowboy sleeping when she naps during stroller rides.


The Peekaboo Bonnet by Made by Rae.  My best friend posted a picture of her daughter in an adorable bonnet made by CeeGee Couture in Ottawa.  I was going to just buy one, instead I made one for myself and will just send you all over there if you want to buy one.  I needed a project and I knew I had some co-ordinating fabric laying around, so it was just a matter of getting piping and bias tape and bob's your uncle.  Well, that and acquiring a printer cable, but that's a fiasco to tell you about another time.


Blurry Photobomb!  Little stinker.  What a tease, we can't see the bonnet!


That's a bit more like it!  Making this bonnet I picked up multiple new sewing skills.  Let's look at what I had never done before:

- Piping
- Interfacing (although iron on interfacing is hardly rocket science)
- Bias Tape (I have used bias tape, but apparently never correctly)
- Gathers
- Sewing through like, 5 layers of fabric

All things considered, I could not be happier with the result.  The pattern was easy to follow, quick to make, and super cute when finished.

Here's a few more:


Again with the photobomb little man, just on the side there.


She was a little disgruntled when I was taking her picture, note the thumb in mouth.


Yummy thumb!


No face in this shot, but you can see the reverse side with the piping around the band.


Sweet girl.

 
Here you can see the two sides.  I think it turned out pretty good, in fact I'll probably make another one just for fun.  Luckily the pattern was pretty forgiving so my mistakes are hardly noticeable at all (in fact, unless I point them out, on first glance they're non-existent).  The biggest challenge was probably the piping, since I've never used it before and there are so many layers.

Now we are ready for the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment